Friday, May 2, 2008

What did I do before kids?

There are times while I am running from my car inspection to my haircut with plans to go pick up Joshua from daycare, then Megan that I think about what I did on a typical night before kids. It is really hard to think about life before kids (LBK). I know Dutch and I used to go out often. We really liked to catch a band playing somewhere on Friday nights. I remember when sleeping in on Saturday was waking up around 11 or 12. I think we had more money then (even though we both make a lot more money now). I remember one year, even before Dutch was in the picture that I was out (mom cover your ears) "partying" (bar hopping, dancing etc.) Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights... all in a row. How could I have possibly survived that? I can't stay up past 9:00 now without snapping someone's head off. Wednesday was ladies night at Frisco's, Thursday was 25 cent drafts at the Shed, Friday was fraternity party night and Saturday was back to Frisco's. All this while I went to college fulltime (and got decent grades) and worked part time.
I always remember thinking I didn't have any time. But I can't figure out WHY I didn't have any time back then... I'm sure there will a day sometime in the future... a long, long, long, long time from now that I will forget what it was like to have small kids running around. It is nice to hear that I am not alone. I vent and share with ladies at work and I am not the only one with 4 things planned in an evening with dinner not even considered until 8:30 pm. I am not the only one that has four changes of clothes in the car for each kid (currently... 2 Baseball uniforms, 3 sweatshirts, 1 slightly warmer jacket, 2 pairs of cleats, 2 pairs of sandals, 4 different various head covers and 2 blankets). Should I ever win a surprise, spontaneous all expense paid trip somewhere the only thing I would need to buy would be clean underwear... and if I looked hard enough, I may even be able to satisfy that need.

No comments: