Saturday, April 5, 2008

The end of an era

She was the Matriarch of the family. She was so strong. Dutch's grandma, Irene Stamm, was 90 years old when she lost her fight last night. October 17, 1908 - April 4, 2008. "Grandma" had a bad heart and it just couldn't take anymore. She was famous in the family for Milk Pies, Christmas Eve celebrations, Halloween Pumpkin contests, Mother's day pot lucks, and most of all for her favorite spot in her rocking chair. She gave advise, the latest family gossip, and her share of kisses and hugs.
A few nights ago when she was in the hospital, she told Joshua (as he held her hand and smiled) that he was going to grow up to be a big, handsome, strong man. I just cried. To know that my children had a great grandma is special. I never did. But to know that she won't see them grow up is heart breaking.
I am a firm believer though that her influence will be in them. The way she raised her kids... grandkids...great-grandkids... and yes, great, great grandkids. I thought of her a MY grandma too. I will miss her so much!

No comments: